Saturday, February 27, 2010

French Tartine

This was one of my favorite things to eat while I lived in France, and I had one just about everyday for lunch. I will tell you how to make two different versions. For bread, in France we would always use a french baguette. That is still my favorite way, but I also like it with homemade or bakery bed, but then I like to lightly toast the bread in the oven or toaster so that the bread is not limp and soggy.
The classic tartine which is what my employer would have was made with a piece of a baguette sliced in half. She would top that with thin slices of tomato, sprinkle that with salt, pepper basil(dry or fresh) and drizzle it with olive oil and top it with slices of mozzarella cheese (I like the whole milk mozzarella from costco because it is inexpensive, tastes fresh and delicious!)and then broil it for a few minutes until golden brown.
I personalized it a little and would spread boursin on my bread(this can be found at costco for about $7 for a pack of three. In grocery stores it is about the same price for one box.)
I would skip the salt pepper and basil since it is already seasoned. I would often add sliced avocado to the top after it was broiled.
This makes a great lunch when served with a small salad.







No comments:

Post a Comment